We decided to go visit the Brigham Young Winter Home here in town. Here we are standing out in front. I grabbed a sister missionary and bribed her into getting a shot of us gals. Well actually it didn't take much bribing, I just smiled and asked nicely and she was more than willing.
While on our tour, we got to take a little walk around the grounds outside. This missionary "Elder" was so nice and so full of information. Here, he's picking some almonds off of a tree and we each got to crack and eat one. It was so cool eating um fresh off the tree.
This is my unprofessional photo of Brigham Young's portrait that was on the wall. Don't ya just love the lights reflection? Hey, ya can't blame a terrible photographer for trying right?
Brigham made, by hand, each one of his daughters a doll like this to play with. If I remember right, I think he had 10 daughters at the time.
I thought that the story behind this "chamber pot" was interesting. At night when they slept and someone woke up needing to go to the potty and it was too dark, cold or whatever to go to the outhouse, they would use this pot and others like it. An interesting fact is that it was the "sons" jobs to empty them out each day. And my boys complain about picking up their own clothes. Oh I think I shall cry for them!
This chair sat in Brigham's bedroom. He would sit and ponder here and no doubt he received some revelation as well.
Here's a view of his bedroom. Notice the tables. He would invite his very important people here where they would sit and discuss many important issues and decisions regarding the church in the early days.
This is Brigham's bed. On the floor, is the original "kneeling stool" of the prophet. I felt the spirit very strongly and tears welt up in my eyes as our tour guide shared that the prophet would kneel here daily and converse with the Lord.
An interesting fact about this particular chair that was in the home, is the fact that the seat, back rest and arms are covered with horse hair. It's true. I had to touch it to believe it and it was fascinating. This chair was reserved only for the most elite visitors to sit in.
In the kitchen fresh hot baked pie would be kept and locked up in this cupboard while it cooled to keep it away from hungry taste testing children. There really is a lock on it. lol We got a chuckle out if this one.
I've decided to post the "delivery of grandma" in another blog so that I'd have something else to blog about since my picture taking efforts have decreased. Stay tuned. This was one picnic we won't forget. Oh and by the way, if "anyone" has any pictures that I don't have in my camera, please do send em my way! I forgot to collect them.
While on our tour, we got to take a little walk around the grounds outside. This missionary "Elder" was so nice and so full of information. Here, he's picking some almonds off of a tree and we each got to crack and eat one. It was so cool eating um fresh off the tree.
This is my unprofessional photo of Brigham Young's portrait that was on the wall. Don't ya just love the lights reflection? Hey, ya can't blame a terrible photographer for trying right?
I thought that the story behind this "chamber pot" was interesting. At night when they slept and someone woke up needing to go to the potty and it was too dark, cold or whatever to go to the outhouse, they would use this pot and others like it. An interesting fact is that it was the "sons" jobs to empty them out each day. And my boys complain about picking up their own clothes. Oh I think I shall cry for them!
This chair sat in Brigham's bedroom. He would sit and ponder here and no doubt he received some revelation as well.
Here's a view of his bedroom. Notice the tables. He would invite his very important people here where they would sit and discuss many important issues and decisions regarding the church in the early days.
This is Brigham's bed. On the floor, is the original "kneeling stool" of the prophet. I felt the spirit very strongly and tears welt up in my eyes as our tour guide shared that the prophet would kneel here daily and converse with the Lord.
An interesting fact about this particular chair that was in the home, is the fact that the seat, back rest and arms are covered with horse hair. It's true. I had to touch it to believe it and it was fascinating. This chair was reserved only for the most elite visitors to sit in.
In the kitchen fresh hot baked pie would be kept and locked up in this cupboard while it cooled to keep it away from hungry taste testing children. There really is a lock on it. lol We got a chuckle out if this one.I've decided to post the "delivery of grandma" in another blog so that I'd have something else to blog about since my picture taking efforts have decreased. Stay tuned. This was one picnic we won't forget. Oh and by the way, if "anyone" has any pictures that I don't have in my camera, please do send em my way! I forgot to collect them.

1 comment:
Cool pics! I will have to post the ones we took of the Beehive house up in SLC. Great to see your Mom! I do hope she is doing well and that I will get to see you both again sometime in the future! We painted our house this last week, and it looks great. We are in the 'prep' part of getting ready to sell. It is our goal to move West here in the next year. YAY!
Post a Comment