Thursday, February 01, 2007

In Memory

As today is February 1, I'm reflecting upon the events that happened 9 years ago when our sweet McKenzie returned home to heaven. As I sat up late last night, I remembered the details of that stressful night like it was yesterday. The years have come and gone and some have been easier than others. I think as the calendar turned this year and I said "Goodbye" to 2006, I've been very sentimental for some reason. Sometimes life calls for an abundance of faith and patience. Perhaps life is meant to build our character and aide us into becoming ever so valiant. So as I've felt this, I've noticed that I get a little emotional. I often say...."I'm too old for this!" But as reality has it.......we're NEVER too old.

I think about my daughter today and how she might be now had she stayed on this earth. There's no doubt in my mind that she'd be strong willed and confident and fun. I often picture her interacting with the 2 brothers that she left behind on this earth and now the 2 sisters that she said goodbye to in heaven, as they left to join our family here. MANY times I feel the presence of "someone else" here with us. There's no doubt that it's McKenzie. I want to share a quick story with you.

On January 13th, I was on my way to pick up Kyle from the Mall. As I waited at the stoplight next to the mall, I had a strange feeling come over me all of the sudden that someone may be in the back of the van. All of this happened in the course of a few seconds. At the exact time that I looked in the rearview mirror, I heard a voice as clear as day say....."HI!" My heart dropped as I turned around quickly and said, in fright mode, "SHOOT!" (well close enough...this is daytime computer) lol Anyway, my heart was beating faster for a few moments and I found it interesting that it was my daughters birthday and that I was thinking about her tons that day and feeling a little emotional. There's no doubt that our loved ones watch over us and know how we're doing. And it was even more clear when I told Kyle the story and he replied, "It was probably McKenzie mom."

So reflect with me if you will and let's embrace our time on earth, striving to be better each day, becoming as God expects....patient, understanding, loving and unselfish. I think that through these attributes, we can be better friends, better parents, better instruments as we live our lives.

"When faith replaces doubt, when selfless service eliminates selfish striving, the power of God brings to pass His purposes."

—President Thomas S. Monson

No comments: